Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spirit Day

Today is Wednesday, October 20th, but it is so much more than that. Today is Spirit Day, a day to remember and support LGBT youth who have been bullied about their sexuality by wearing the color purple. This quote is straight from the Facebook event page:
"It’s been decided! On October 20th, 2010, we will wear purple in honor of the LGBT youth who have committed suicide in recent weeks/months due to homophobic abuse in their homes and schools. PURPLE represents Spirit on the LGBTQ flag and that’s exactly what we’d like all of you to have with you: spirit. Please know that times will get better and that you will meet people who will love you and respect you for who you are, no matter your sexuality."

While riding my bike to work and getting lunch on campus, I saw way more purple than usual! I'm so proud of my fellow ASU students! I know that we live in a time where sexuality is a big issue, so this post is not meant to push anything down anyone's throat, however, I think we can all agree that suicide should never be the answer to who you are. Embrace yourself and love always.

-Andrea

0 comments:

Post a Comment