Friday, October 29, 2010

Creating a Halloween costume without going to the Halloween store

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. I mean who doesn’t like to take advantage of having an excuse to dress up as someone they’re not any other day. It’s the chance to swashbuckle like a pirate, save the world like a superhero or even feel as royal as a princess. As I got closer to Halloween, I looked forward to thinking of a creative costume but realized I was working with a college student’s budget. I searched through my own clothes and accessories for items I could use to create my first “Make-it-yourself” Halloween costume. 
After searching for inspiration I decided to channel the sassy and fashionable fairy Tinkerbell. I already owned black leggings and a white ribbon to tie around a bun in my hair, but I needed a few more clothing staples. I ventured off to Scottsdale Fashion Square and looked in Victoria’s Secret where I found a long sleeve cotton shirt on sale for $10 and the identical green color of Tinkerbell’s dress. And with winter coming up, I know I’ll be able wear the shirt again during days with colder weather. Then I went to Walgreens and discovered lime green and purple sparkly fairy wings for a deal of $6.99. Thanks to my roommate, I also have a pair of silver glitter Toms to wear. By searching through my closet and finding deals in stores, I was able to create an affordable costume while still being creative. I guess all it took was just a little bit of pixie dust.

Final Product:




















Have a wicked Halloween!!!
Erin Kennedy

0 comments:

Post a Comment